Great things come in small packages. It’s true for jewelry, sports cars, and gymnasts. And yes, it’s true for videos too. Particularly if you’re making videos for social media, the golden rule you should follow is this: the shorter and punchier, the better.
Why short videos are perfect for social media
Attention spans are short these days, and social media feeds are more crowded than ever.
If you want people on social media to watch your videos, they need to get your message across before viewers get bored and scroll away.
What to put in your Facebook videos
Learn (directly from the masters) the essential ingredients to successful Facebook videos.
For most online videos, a good rule of thumb is less than two minutes. Research shows that engagement drops significantly after that. But for social media, you should aim for even less. Under a minute is good — less than 30, or even 15 seconds, is ideal.
That’s not to say there isn’t a place for longer videos — the popularity of vlogs, TED Talks, and other longer-form video is proof of that. But that place is generally not on social media, where videos tend to be discovered by chance (or perhaps, by an algorithm) rather than sought out intentionally.
So while YouTube or your website are great places to dive into a topic with in-depth tutorials, vlogs, interviews, or webinars, on social media networks like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, your videos should be different.
A good social media video should:
- Be 5-30 seconds long, ideally, 60 seconds max.
- Hook viewers in the first 2-5 seconds.
- Incorporate eye-catching graphics.
- Use text that incites curiosity.
- Inspire immediate action — whether that’s making a purchase, visiting a website, or signing up to receive more information.
- Not rely on audio or dialogue to get the point across (people are very likely to watch silently, at least at first).
For additional tips, check out this post. Now you know what a short and punchy social media video needs, let’s look at how to create one.
Short video templates
The easiest way to get started is with one of our Biteable social media video templates, which are ideal for short videos. By using one of our templates, you can have a beautiful, professional short video ready to go in around 5-10 minutes!
Here are a few of our favorites:
Short video examples
Bigger isn’t always better. It’s what you do with it that counts. Let’s take a look at some short videos that make a big impact in a short time.
The frantic pace at the start of this next video, contrasted with the slowed-down visuals and music at the end, send a strong, relatable message in ~15 seconds. Ideal for any service or product that helps frazzled people streamline their work!
In just five seconds, this next single-scene video sends the message that you have your customers’ backs. And it only took around five minutes to make!
No matter how many posts are competing for your viewer’s attention, the bright pop art in this simple three-scene template is sure to grab your viewer’s eye.
The internet is obsessed with sloths, so give the people what they want! This template combines a charming animated sloth and a little off-the-wall humor.
Here’s another single-scene video, this time featuring our cute Clay Town characters. The message is relatable, and incites curiosity, motivating the viewer to learn more.
How to make a short video with Biteable
Ready to get started? First, head over to Biteable to sign up (if you haven’t already).
Once you’ve logged in or created an account, click Create a New Video and follow the steps below.
1. Here you can decide whether to start from a template (like any of the ones we linked above) or start from scratch.
Tell us what you’re looking to achieve with your video, and we’ll even suggest a few templates that might work well for you.
2a. If you opt to use a template, just click Edit This Video on the one you’d like to use.
2b. Prefer to create something all yours? Click on Start From Scratch in the top right corner instead.
3. Give your video a name.
4. Now click on Add Scene in the timeline at the bottom to select a scene to add.
5. Now you can edit the text on each scene, and add, remove, or reorganize scenes.
You can edit the duration of some (but not all) scenes by clicking on the Timing stopwatch and selecting Short Version. This will shorten the scene by about two seconds.
You can keep track of your overall video length as you add and edit scenes by checking the Duration in the top left corner.
6. Next, select your color scheme — use our color palettes or customize your own to match your brand colors.
7. Then choose a soundtrack for your video by selecting from our extensive list of built-in audio tracks, or upload your own.
8. Finally, click Preview Video and we’ll start building. It’ll take a few minutes, but the shorter your video is, the faster your finished product will be done.
9. Watch the preview and make sure you’re happy. If you find you need to make a few tweaks, just click Timeline to change the text or the flow of scenes.
10. Once you’re happy, click Publish This Video. From here, you can share your video on social media, publish it to YouTube, download it to your computer (if you’re a Premium user) or embed it on your website. And if you ever need to edit it again, you can do that too!
Create short videos in no time at all
When it comes to videos on social media, shorter is better. And we think that the time it takes to create your video should be short too.
With Biteable, it’s simple to create short, punchy videos in minutes. We hope this guide helps you get started creating your own, but if you have any questions, hit us up on our Support channel in the top right corner of your screen when you’re in the app. We have people standing by to help you 24/7.
Need some ideas? Check out our list of the 11 different types of video you can make for your social media channels.
Video marketing insights delivered to your inbox weekly.
Thanks for subscribing
You’ll now get our emails, fresh out of the oven, every week!